Recipe by PickyEater
This unusual recipe is from French Food at Home by Laura Calder. The coffee, she says, "gives the cooking juices a detectable, but not easily definable richness."
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 teaspoon unsalted butter
- 2 pork chops (about 1/3 pound each)
- salt & pepper
- 1⁄4 cup strong black coffee
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat the oil and butter in a saute pan.
- Season the chops on both sides with salt, pepper and sugar.
- Fry on both sides until cooked through and nicely carmelized, about 10 minutes.
- Remove the chops to warm serving plates.
- Add the coffee to the pan and shake to deglaze.
- Boil to reduce to a thin, syrupy sauce, 1 to 2 minutes.
- Season with salt and pepper, pour over the chops and serve.