Recipe by bkandlf
I love tomatoes. I grew 20 different types of tomatoes this summer. I also went a little crazy with bell peppers. I came up with this recipe and boy is it good! Grill cheese sandwiches and soup, Oh my gosh!
Top Review by Raina Johnson
Easy instructions to follow, pretty good flavor but added pepper, dash if chili powder, salt and did strain it: way too chunky and icky and a strange texture. Added half a cup instead of a quarter of whipping cream. Also garnished with creme fraiche as well.
Veggies for roasting
- 6 lbs fresh tomatoes, any type
- 3 red bell peppers
- 2 yellow bell peppers
- 2 orange bell peppers
- 1 yellow onion
- 1 red onion
- 1 head garlic
- olive oil
- raw sugar
Veggies for saute
- 4 red onions, sliced
- 4 garlic cloves
Ingredients for soup base
- 4 cups low sodium chicken broth
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1 tablespoon fresh basil
- 1 cup heavy cream
- pecorino cheese, to garnish
Directions See How It's Made
- Turn broiler on high, adjust rack to 3 inches. Wash and half all the roasting veggies and place cut side up in deep roasting pan.
- Prepare garlic to roast by cutting off top and slightly exposing each clove and toss in with veggies.
- Drizzle light with olive oil,and sprinkle scantly with raw sugar.
- Place under broiler to roast 20 min or until everything becomes blistered and black.
- You may need to adjust rack and time,or do in batches removing and replacing veggies as needed.
- Discard liquid from pan, pop out garlic clove and puree everything in a blender,this may need to be done in batches as well.
- Set puree aside, I do not strain this I like all the texture and color, but I'm sure you could if you want.
- Warm chicken stock on stovetop.
- Place sliced onion in pan with a small amount of olive oil to caramelize.
- Stir until golden and gooey, add garlic at the very end, so not to burn.
- In a large, heavy bottom soup pot, melt butter and add flour, making a roux, stir and cook until dark brown and aromatic about 10 minute.
- Whisk in the heated chicken stock, when that is mixed add the tomato puree heavy cream and basil.
- Warm slowly and finally add the caramelized onion and garlic.
- Garnish with the picoreno cheese, grated with large grader.