Recipe by mommymakeit4u
Over the years I've tested a lot of French Onion Soups. This is my favourite combination of ingredients.
Top Review by *Parsley*
This onion soup was out of this world! I made this just as written, using swiss and smoked provolone cheeses to broil on the top. Usually the melted cheese and bread topping is the best part, but in this case, the soup itself was just as great. The Dijon added a nice flavor. I wish I would have doubled this recipe. Thanx for posting!
- 2 large vidalia onions, sliced thinly
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1⁄2 cup red wine
- 4 cups beef broth
- 1 dash Worcestershire sauce
- 1⁄2 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 3⁄4 cup shredded gruyere or 3⁄4 cup swiss cheese or 3⁄4 cup gouda cheese
- 2 thick slices French bread
Directions See How It's Made
- Cook onions with oil, thyme and sugar until onions are carmelized..
- Add minced garlic and saute for 30 seconds.
- Deglaze with red wine and follow with beef broth.
- Bring to a boil and add worchestire, dijon, salt and pepper.
- Simmer for 5 minutes.
- Divide in 2 oven safe bowls, top with bread, then shredded cheese.
- Put under broiler until cheese is melted and bubbling.
- Serve immediately.