Over the years I've tested a lot of French Onion Soups. This is my favourite combination of ingredients.
- 2 large vidalia onions, sliced thinly
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1⁄2 cup red wine
- 4 cups beef broth
- 1 dash Worcestershire sauce
- 1⁄2 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 3⁄4 cup shredded gruyere or 3⁄4 cup swiss cheese or 3⁄4 cup gouda cheese
- 2 thick slices French bread
- Cook onions with oil, thyme and sugar until onions are carmelized..
- Add minced garlic and saute for 30 seconds.
- Deglaze with red wine and follow with beef broth.
- Bring to a boil and add worchestire, dijon, salt and pepper.
- Simmer for 5 minutes.
- Divide in 2 oven safe bowls, top with bread, then shredded cheese.
- Put under broiler until cheese is melted and bubbling.
- Serve immediately.