Prep 20 mins
Cook 12 mins
This recipe for gingerbread men is the best I have ever tried, and all my friends agree! What makes them different is the orange zest. Adapted from a recipe that originally came from Allrecipes.com. (Dough needs to chill for at least 3 hours or overnight)
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 1 1⁄2 cups white sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons orange zest
- 2 tablespoons dark corn syrup (light works ok, too)
- 3 cups flour
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ginger
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- Cream the butter and the sugar in a large bowl.
- (I find it easier if I melt the butter a little bit before adding to the sugar).
- Add the egg and mix well.
- Mix in the orange peel (sometimes I also add a tsp or so of fresh juice from the orange for extra flavor) and corn syrup.
- In separate bowl, mix flour, baking soda, cinnamon, ginger, cloves and salt.
- Add flour mixture, a little at a time, to wet ingredients until well combined.
- (I find it easier to work with when mixed by hand as opposed to using a mixer).
- Chill dough overnight or at least 3 hours.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C).
- Roll dough out 1/4" thick and cut to desired shapes.
- Place cookies 1" apart on prepared cookie sheets.
- Bake at 375 degrees for 10-12 minutes.
- (cookies spread out a little, so make sure you leave enough space around edges).