Recipe by Donna
People just can't get over how good these are. This is a recipe that I received from a friend some 20+ years ago. I think the neck bones give it the flavorful taste. You'll definitely make again.
- 1 head cabbage
- 2 lbs hamburger
- 1 (48 ounce) can tomato juice
- salt and pepper
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 cup rice (uncooked)
- 8 pork neck bones
- 1 (16 ounce) package sauerkraut
Directions See How It's Made
- mix hamburger, salt, pepper, garlic, onions& rice.
- set aside.
- In huge pot, in boiling water, separate cabbage leaves.
- Once all possible leaves are separated, shred remaining cabbage head left and set aside.
- To roll the cabbage, take a leaf, you will see a vein in the leaf, lance that down flat for a better roll; put about a tbls.
- (depending on leaf size) of meat mixture in middle of leaf, roll up and tuck ends in with your fingers.
- In a huge roasting pan or pot if cooking on stove top (I use an 18 qt electric roaster) put a layer of shredded cabbage in bottom of pan (excess you did not use as leaves), next put a layer of sauerkraut, next put a layer of cabbage rolls, next put a 3-4 next bones on top of cabbage rolls, put another layer of sauerkraut cover with tomato juice.
- Continue above layering until all ingredients used up.
- I always double this recipe so I can give some away to family members and also have some leftovers to freeze.
- Cover and cook on medium heat until it boils, then put on low heat for 2 hours.
- That's the stove top method, I've never done that I've always baked it in the oven or used my electric roaster and cooked it at 300 for 3-4 hours.