Prep 20 mins
Cook 4 hrs
This is a different kind of Ambrosia, it's got a little more added to it, but oh so good! This makes enough for a crowd!
- 2 (17 ounce) cans fruit cocktail
- 2 (20 ounce) cans pineapple chunks
- 2 (11 ounce) cans mandarin oranges
- 4 (3 1/2 ounce) packages instant pistachio pudding mix
- 2 cups sour cream
- 1 (12 ounce) carton frozen whipped topping, thawed
- chopped pecans (optional)
- Drain fruit cocktail, pineapple and oranges. Reserving 3 cups of juice.
- Set fruit aside.
- Pour juice into 4-qt bowl. Add pudding mix and mix until smooth.
- Stir in sour cream.
- Add whipped topping and mix until smooth.
- Fold in fruit.
- Chill for several hours.
- Top with pecans just before serving.
I cut this down to two cans of fruit and it made a large bowl. (which my diners said was a good thing. LOL) It is a pale green and very creamy. I used sugar free pudding, fruit in natural juices, and low fat sour cream and it worked successfully. I served this with ham for our Easter dinner. Thank you for sharing the recipe!
Delicious. A new favorite. Yum. Had to go back for seconds on a full stomach.
With all the baking/cooking I'm doing right now, I had to cut this recipe in half, & still it made a lot! Fortunately I was hosting a group & they were happy to finish it off for me! Followed the recipe with one exception, & an optional one, at that! Instead of using pecans I used set out 2 cups of chopped pistachio nuts so each person could have as much as they wanted of this REALLY GREAT AMBROSIA! Will be keeping this recipe around! [Tagged, made & reviewed for one of my adoptees in the current Pick-A-Chef]