I tried this recipe from a site and changed only one thing (I added 2 teaspoons cinnamon instead of the recommended 1 teaspoon orange extract) and it turned out very fluffy and moist. It also doesn't use butter or oil so its light and delicious. The frosting also doesn't use any butter so its light and delicious.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 tablespoon butter
For the cake
- 5 eggs, whites and yolks separated
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 lemon, juice and rind of, grated
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1 pinch salt
- 12 ounces tender carrots, finely grated
- 3/4 cup cornstarch
For the frosting
- 1Preheat oven to 370 F (190c).
- 2Grease a 9 inch pan.
- 3Beat egg whites until stiff and then slowly pour in 1/2 cup of sugar, beating constantly.
- 4In another bowl, beat the egg yolks and the remaining sugar then add lemon rind, lemon juice, salt and cinnamon, beating continuously.
- 5Add in the carrots, corn starch and mix.
- 6Add the egg whites to the mix slowly and small amounts at a time mixing continuously in a top to bottom rotating movement.
- 7Pour the batter into the pan.
- 8Level the surface with a spatula (do not pressure it though and move very lightly).
- 9Bake for 35-40 minutes or until toothpick inserted comes out clean and cake is golden.
- 10For frosting:.
- 11Whip the whipping cream until it thickens.
- 12In a separate bowl, mix the sugar and cheese until smooth.
- 13Add in the whipped cream.
- 14Frost cooled cake.
Browse Our Top Dessert Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Dessert Recipes
Nutritional Facts for A Different Fluffy, Light and Moist Carrot Cake (Very Low Fat)
Serving Size: 1 (108 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 12
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 251.8
- Calories from Fat 107
- Total Fat 11.9 g
- Saturated Fat 6.7 g
- Cholesterol 121.4 mg
- Sodium 103.7 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 33.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.1 g
- Sugars 23.1 g
- Protein 3.9 g