Prep 20 mins
Cook 40 mins
I tried this recipe from a site and changed only one thing (I added 2 teaspoons cinnamon instead of the recommended 1 teaspoon orange extract) and it turned out very fluffy and moist. It also doesn't use butter or oil so its light and delicious. The frosting also doesn't use any butter so its light and delicious.
- 1 tablespoon butter
For the cake
- 5 eggs, whites and yolks separated
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 lemon, juice and rind of, grated
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1 pinch salt
- 12 ounces tender carrots, finely grated
- 3⁄4 cup cornstarch
For the frosting
- 4 ounces cream cheese
- 3⁄4 cup whipping cream
- 1⁄2 cup powdered sugar
- Preheat oven to 370 F (190c).
- Grease a 9 inch pan.
- Beat egg whites until stiff and then slowly pour in 1/2 cup of sugar, beating constantly.
- In another bowl, beat the egg yolks and the remaining sugar then add lemon rind, lemon juice, salt and cinnamon, beating continuously.
- Add in the carrots, corn starch and mix.
- Add the egg whites to the mix slowly and small amounts at a time mixing continuously in a top to bottom rotating movement.
- Pour the batter into the pan.
- Level the surface with a spatula (do not pressure it though and move very lightly).
- Bake for 35-40 minutes or until toothpick inserted comes out clean and cake is golden.
- For frosting:.
- Whip the whipping cream until it thickens.
- In a separate bowl, mix the sugar and cheese until smooth.
- Add in the whipped cream.
- Frost cooled cake.