Prep 1 hr
Cook 40 mins
- 0.5 (1/4 ounce) envelope active dry yeast
- 1⁄2 cup milk, lukewarm
- 2 1⁄2 cups flour, sifted
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1⁄4 cup butter, softened
- 2 eggs, beaten well
- 125 g bittersweet chocolate
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons very strong black coffee
- 1 tablespoon butter, melted
- Dissolve the yeast in 1 Tbs of the milk and let stand for 5-10 minutes.
- Into a large mixing bowl sift 1/2 cup of the flour, 1/4 cup of the sugar and the salt.
- Stir in the remaining milk,add the yeast mixture and mix well.
- Cover with a damp cloth and set aside in a warm place for about 45 minutes.
- Cream together the butter, vanilla and remaining sugar and add this to the dough mixture.
- Blend in the eggs.
- Sift in the remaining flour and mix until smooth, adding flour if necessary to ensure a smooth, pliable mixture.
- In the top of a double boiler melt the chocolate and then stir in the coffee.
- On a lightly floured board spread the dough and coat with the chocolate mixture.
- Roll the dough over until a multi-layered roll has been formed.
- Place the roll in a well-greased baking pan, cover with a damp cloth and let rise in a warm place until the volume is doubled.
- Brush the top with the melted butter and bake in a medium 365° oven for 40 minutes.
This is the kind of cake recipe I have searched for, because I don't like things that have a lot of sugar in them. I will be making this again.