1 hr 6 mins
Make and freeze for a busy night or have it tonight. Comfort food!! from Canadian Living mag.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 lb boneless skinless chicken breasts or 1 lb boneless skinless chicken thighs
- 2 cups chicken stock
- 2 cups button mushrooms, quartered
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 carrots, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, smashed
- 2 bay leaves
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 pinch nutmeg
- 1 cup frozen peas
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1Topping: Peel potatoes and cut into 1/2 inch chunks.
- 2In a large saucepan of boiling salted water, cover and cook potatoes until tender, 15 minutes; drain and return to pot.
- 3Add milk, cheese, butter, salt and pepper; mash until smooth, set aside.
- 4Meanwhile, cut chicken into 1/2 inch chunks.
- 5In a separate large saucepan, bring stock to boil.
- 6Add chicken, mushrooms, onion, carrots, garlic, bay leaves, salt, pepper and nutmeg; reduce heat, cover and simmer until chicken is no longer pink inside, about 6 minutes.
- 7Stir in peas, mustard and lemon juice.
- 8In a small bowl, whisk flour with 1/3 cup cold water; whisk into stock mixture and bring to boil.
- 9Reduce heat and cook, stirring often, until thick enough to coat back of spoon, about 5 minutes.
- 10Combine chicken/veggie mixture with stock mixture.
- 11Make ahead Meal: Ladle into four 2 cup ovenproof or foil dishes.
- 12Spoon or pipe potato mixture over top.
- 13Let cool for 30 minutes.
- 14Refrigerate until cold.
- 15Cover with foil and overwrap with heavy duty foil; freeze for up to 1 month.
- 16Thaw in refrigerator; remove heavy duty foil.
- 17Bake on rimmed baking sheet in 400f degree oven or toaster oven until knife inserted in centre for 5 seconds feels hot when touched, 25 minutes.
- 18Uncover and broil until golden, about 3 minutes.
- 19OR FOR DINNER TONIGHT: Scrape chicken mixture into 10 cup casserole dish, spoon or pipe potato mixture over top.
- 20Cover and bake in 400f degree oven until hot, 20 minutes.
- 21Uncover and broil until golden, 3 minutes.
Browse Our Top Savory Pies Recipes
Nutritional Facts for A Different Chicken Pot Pie (for the freezer)
Serving Size: 1 (651 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 637.9
- Calories from Fat 185
- Total Fat 20.6 g
- Saturated Fat 11.6 g
- Cholesterol 120.8 mg
- Sodium 909.9 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 72.1 g
- Dietary Fiber 7.3 g
- Sugars 8.9 g
- Protein 41.6 g