Recipe by Karen From Colorado
This carrot cake is like no other you have ever had. Three layers of carrots and fruit topped in a cream cheese frosting with a hint of orange.
- 2 cups sugar
- 3⁄4 cup vegetable oil
- 3 eggs
- 2 cups flour
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 3⁄4 cup buttermilk
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 2 cups grated carrots
- 1⁄2 cup crushed pineapple, drained
- 1 1⁄2 cups grated coconut
- 1 cup crispy rice cereal
- 1 cup chopped walnuts
Orange Cream Cheese Frosting
- 1 (8 ounce) package cream cheese, softened
- 6 tablespoons butter or 6 tablespoons margarine, softened
- 6 cups powdered sugar, sifted
- 4 -5 tablespoons milk
- 1 teaspoon orange extract
Directions See How It's Made
- Cream sugar and oil together in a large mixing bowl.
- Add eggs, one at a time, beating after each addition.
- Combine dry ingredients and add alternately with buttermilk and vanilla, mixing until smooth.
- Fold in remaining ingredients.
- Pour equal amounts of batter into 3 well-greased and floured 8 or 9 inch round cake pans.
- Bake in preheated 350 degree oven for 55 minutes.
- Cool for 10 minutes in pans.
- Remove from pans and continue to cool on wire racks.
- Frost with orange cream cheese frosting.
- Orange Cream Cheese Frosting:.
- Beat all ingredients together with an electric mixer until smooth and spreadable.