Prep 15 mins
Cook 40 mins
This soup is very refreshing on a hot day.
- 3 tablespoons olive oil or 3 tablespoons butter
- 2 leeks, cleaned and minced
- 3 medium potatoes, cut in thin slices
- 3 medium beets, cleaned and grated on the large holes of a box grater
- 5 cups vegetable broth or 5 cups chicken broth
- 1 cup cream
- 1 teaspoon minced dill
- Put oil, leeks and potatoes in a medium-sized saucepan.
- Saute over medium heat, stirring constantly, until softened, about 8-10 minutes.
- Add grated beets, saute 1 minute longer and add broth to pan.
- Reduce heat to medium-low and simmer for approximately ½ an hour, until vegetables are practically melted into the broth.
- Puree them in a blender or using an immersion blender (be careful with the immersion blender!).
- Season to taste.
- Add the cream and heat well, but do not boil.
- Remove from heat.
- If soup is too thick, thin it with a bit of milk.
- Cool and refrigerate.
- To serve: Sprinkle minced dill over top.