Recipe by duonyte
Food columnist Renee Enna published this recipe which relies on less-expensive ingredients to create a toothsome fish stew. She suggests using whatever firm white fish is on sale, shredded crab to thicken the stew, and mushrooms to provide texture in place of shellfish. Serve with a crusty bread. I've made the salt optional and suggested low-sodium tomatoes to try to reduce the sodium level,
Top Review by Jody R.
Easy &a huge hit w my book group. I added snow crab in the shell for extra flavor (yep on sale) and lo sodium chicken broth to have enough liquid when we got talking and the mixture boiled down. Extra time on a low simmer didnt hurt anything and I cooked the l eftovers the next day w more wine and it was even better!
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 1⁄2 cups chopped onions
- 1 cup sliced mushrooms
- 1 tablespoon mixed Italian herbs
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt (optional)
- 1⁄4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- fresh ground black pepper
- 2 (16 ounce) canslow-sodium diced tomatoes, with their liquid
- 1⁄3 cup dry red wine (or to taste)
- 12 ounces white fish fillets (mahi-mahi, halibut, cod suggested)
- 1 (6 ounce) jar roasted red peppers, drained and chopped
- 1 (6 ounce) canall-white crabmeat
- 8 -12 cooked shrimp, tails removed (optional)
- 1 teaspoon sugar (optional)
- chopped fresh parsley (garnish)
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat the oil over medium-high heat in a Dutch oven and add the onion; cook, stirring, until softened, about 2 minutes.
- Stir in the mushrooms, Italian herbs, garlic, salt, red pepper flakes, and black pepper and cook until the mushrooms have softened, about 2 minutes.
- Stir in the tomatoes and wine and heat to a boil.
- Cut the fillets into chunks and stir into the soup, making sure all pieces are submerged. Reduce heat to a slow boil and cook until the fish is cooked through, about 5 minutes.
- Stir in the crabmeat, roasted red peppers and shrimp, if using. Continue to cook until just heated through, about 3 minutes.
- Taste - if acidic, add the sugar.
- Serve garnished with the parsley.