Prep 1 hr
Cook 20 mins
Beautiful tasting, company-ready winter squash casserole dish that was served to me by my daughter at her Bunco party. She said it came from a handout at Raley's Deli Dept. All the women there raved about the recipe and it even upstaged the pumpkin raviolis she made. It would be quite impressive on a Thanksgiving or Christmas table or to take to a potluck. Enjoy!
Here is what you need
- 2 lbs butternut squash (peeled & seeded & cut into 1/2 inch cubes (aprox 4 C)
- 2 tablespoons water (divided )
- 2 lbs acorn squash (peeled & seeded & cut into 1/2 inch cubes,aprox 4 C)
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 2 cups coarsely chopped fennel, white bottom part only (anise)
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1 cup havarti cheese
- 1 (8 ounce) container mascarpone cheese
- salt & pepper
- *preheat oven to 400 and butter a 2 qt casserole dish. Place butternut squash in 1 TBS water in large microwave safe dish and cover tightly. Microwave for 7 minutes or until squash is tender, stirring once. Drain.
- Repeat with acorn squash and remaining water.
- Melt butter in a large skillet over med. Heat. Add fennel and onions cook stirring frequently, for about 10 min or until onion is tender. Remove from heat and stir in cheeses and squash, season with salt and pepper. Transfer to prepared rectangular dish and bake for 20 minute Or until lightly browned and bubbly.
I have made this recipe on a couple occassions and have had wonderful feedback. This recipe will be taking the place of the dreaded sweet potatoes at Thanksgiving. The aroma of the onion and fennel sautÃ© is fabulous! This is a sure winner and crowd pleaser.