Recipe by MarieRynr
Little wedges of phyllo wrapped cheese served on top of baby greens. When you cut into the pastry with a fork, the warm cheese bursts out onto the greens, creating a delightful surprise. The richness of the cheese is beautifully balanced with the tartness of the balsamic vinegar.
- 9 ounces camembert cheese, chilled (1 small wheel)
- 2 sheets phyllo dough
- 1⁄4 lb butter, melted
- 1⁄2 cup balsamic vinegar
- 2 cups assorted baby greens, washed and dried
- 1⁄4 cup toasted pecans, for garnish (optional)
- 2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- 1⁄2 tablespoon chopped shallot
- 1⁄2 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons dry sherry
- 2⁄3 cup sherry wine vinegar
- 1 cup salad oil
- 1⁄4 cup walnut oil
- salt & freshly ground black pepper, to taste
Directions See How It's Made
- For the sherry vinaigrette, whisk all ingredients together in a large stainless steel bowl.
- Transfer to a jar with a tight fitting lid and store in the fridge until needed.
- Shake well before using.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Cut the wheel of camembert into 6 triangles.
- On a cutting board, lay out one sheet of phyllo dough and brush it with melted butter.
- Place another sheet of phyllo on top of the first and brush it with butter as well, reserving about 4 TBS of the butter for later.
- Using a sharp knife, cut the buttered phyllo sheets into 6 strips, about 2 1/2 inches wide.
- Place a triangle of Camembert on one end of each phyllo strip.
- Fold one corner of the dough over to cover the cheese and form a triangle.
- Continue folding the dough, like a flag, maintaining the triangular shape.
- Place the triangles, seam side down, on the baking sheet and rrefrigerate until ready to serve.
- In a small heavy bottomed saucepan, reduce the balsamic vinegar by half and set aside.
- In a large skillet, heat baout 4 TBS of the remaining melted butter over low heat.
- Add the pastry wrapped cheese wedges and cook for 30 to 45 seconds on each side until just golden brown.
- Using tongs, remove the cheese triangles from the skillet and drain on paper towels.
- Place the greens in a large bowl; lightly dress them with the sherry vinaigrette, and place a small mound of dressed greens in the center of each plate.
- Place a warm cheese triangle on top of each pile of greens.
- Drizzle the reduced balsamic vinegar around the greens and garnish with toasted pecans, if desired.