Prep 1 hr
Cook 2 hrs 30 mins
In ‘The Everything Tex-Mex Cookbook’
- 2 lbs beef sirloin, tips
- 1⁄4 cup flour
- 1 teaspoon ground red chili powder (New Mexican red chile powder)
- 2 tablespoons lard or 2 tablespoons bacon fat
- 2 onions, chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 3 dried ancho chiles
- 3 cups water
- 3 (14 ounce) cans beef broth
- 2 jalapeno peppers, minced
- 2 teaspoons chili paste
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 3 tablespoons chili powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- Cut beef into 1-inch pieces and toss with flour and red chile powder.
- Melt lard or bacon grease in large stockpot over medium heat.
- Saute coated beef in batches until brown, about 4-5 minutes per batch.
- Remove each batch when cooked.
- Cook onions and garlic in drippings until crisp-tender, 4-5 minutes.
- Meanwhile, soak ancho chiles in ½ cup hot water for about 30 minutes.
- Drain and puree chiles and ¼ cup water in blender or food processor.
- Add to onions in pot along with beef and remaining ingredients.
- Bring to a boil, then cover pot, decrease heat to low, and simmer for 2 ½ hours, stirring occasionally.