A recipe found from a Crisco flyer. I found the flavors to be a bit understated with their method of using lemon extract so the 2nd batch I made I used fresh squeezed lemon juice in both the dough and the frosting and also added a bit of finely grated lemon peel to the frosting.. That did it for us! I also used butter instead of shortening in the frosting - I prefer a butter frosting but if you want to use shortening go ahead (equal amounts to sub those two ingredients). If you want to use the extract use half the amount compared to fresh juice.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1/4 cup shortening
- 1/2 cup milk (I used 1% milk)
- 1 egg, beaten
- 4 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
- 1Preheat oven to 350°F Spray baking pans with a non-stick spray or line with parchment paper.
- 2Combine flour, sugar and baking powder in a large mixing bowl.
- 3Beat in shortening with mixer on low speed until completely blended into flour. Add the milk, egg and lemon juice, mixing just until blended.
- 4Roll or use a small cookie scoop to get 1-inch cookie dough balls and place 1 inch apart on baking sheet.
- 5Bake 10-12 minutes or until lightly browned. Remove from oven and let set for at least 5 minutes before moving to a cooling rack. Cool completely.
- 6When cookies are completely cool, make the frosting by beating the powdered sugar, butter, 2 tbls of the warmed milk, lemon juice and peel (if using) in a bowl with mixer on low speed until blended. Gradually add in extra warm milk until you get the consistency of the frosting you want.
- 7Spread on top of cookies and let set completely before storing.
Browse Our Top Drop Cookies Recipes
Nutritional Facts for A Bit of Italy Lemon Drop Cookies
Serving Size: 1 (26 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 36
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 91.6
- Calories from Fat 31
- Total Fat 3.5 g
- Saturated Fat 1.6 g
- Cholesterol 10.3 mg
- Sodium 50.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 14.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.1 g
- Sugars 8.4 g
- Protein 1.0 g