Prep 15 mins
Cook 10 mins
Delicious supper salad has a little bit of everything that I usually have on hand in it.
- 1 lb chicken breast (I buy the tenders)
- 1 bunch spinach (about 2 cups washed, stemmed and torn)
- 1⁄2 head lettuce (about 2 cups washed and shredded)
- 1 cup red grapes
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes
- 1 apple, peeled and sliced
- 1 orange, sectioned
- 1⁄2 cup cashews
- 1⁄4 cup sunflower seeds
- 1⁄4 cup raisins
- 3 green onions, sliced
- 1⁄4 cup lemon juice (about 2 lemons)
- 4 tablespoons honey
- 1 pinch cayenne pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons poppy seeds
- 1⁄2 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1⁄2 cup olive oil (walnut oil or other nut oil is also good in this dressing)
- Whisk together dressing ingredients (lemon juice - mustard), whisking in oil in a slow stream.
- Dressing will be used for both marinating the chicken and for salad dressing.
- With one third of the dressing (reserving 2/3 of the dressing for salad dressing) marinate chicken for 1 hour and then broil chicken, discarding the marinade.
- Shred or chop chicken.
- Mix together salad ingredients (spinach - orange) with shredded chicken.
- Garnish with cashews, sunflower seeds, raisins and green onion.
- Whisk dressing again and then toss salad with remaining dressing (or 2/3 of the original dressing).
I liked the dressing in this recipe, almost a honey dijon flavor, but very mild. It went well with the fruit & veggies used in the salad. I would have prefered it a tad thicker. I really enjoyed the nuts, cashews & sunflowers kernels are favorites of mine. I omitted the orange when assembling this recipe. The colors of this salad are very pretty. All in all a good choice today for lunch. Thanks for sharing your recipe!!