Recipe by LilKiwiChicken
Sorry, am in a funny mood tonight - this is something I whipped up for dinner instead of doing some exercise! If you don't have arborio rice use short grain rice instead. I haven't included salt in the recipe but feel free to add it to taste.
Top Review by mummamills
this was excellent. I couldnt give it 5 stars, as 2 out of the 4 guinea pigs didnt like it at all! I am a Greek freak, so I loved the lemony flavour, but next time I will not use the skin, I think thats what the others found overwhelming. I couldnt believe how easy it came together, and the instructions were very good! I would recomend this recipe if your fond of lemon, but if your not, just squeeze a little juice in, cause the rest is great too :)
- 6 chicken drumsticks
- 3 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 100 g bacon, chopped roughly
- 2 cups squash, chopped into small cubes
- 1 large leek, chopped into rough slices
- 1 stalk celery, chopped into rough slices
- 3⁄4 cup arborio rice
- 2 tablespoons thyme, chopped
- 1 1⁄2 medium lemons, chopped into rough pieces
- 1⁄2 cup dry white wine
- 1 1⁄2 cups vegetable stock
- 2 bay leaves
- 1⁄2 medium lemon, cut into neat slices
- 2 tablespoons parmesan cheese, grated
- fresh ground black pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat the oven to 180 degrees Celsius.
- Heat a stovetop to oven pan on medium heat. Once heated, add the oil.
- Put the drumsticks in the pan & brown on all sides. Remove from the pan.
- Add the squash & saute for 3 minutes or until just starting to soften.
- Add the celery, leek, onion & garlic & saute for 5 minutes. Add the bacon & fry for a further 2 minutes.
- Add the rice & thyme & saute for 1 minute.
- Add the wine, stock & lemons and stir to combine. Add the chicken & stir again. Try to make sure that all of the rice is immersed in the liquid.
- Put into the oven & bake for 1 hour, or until the rice & chicken is cooked. Stir every so often during cooking.
- Garnish with the lemon & parmesan & grind over some fresh black pepper.