Prep 15 mins
Cook 23 mins
Uses fresh lime juice and lime oil. If you cannot find lime oil, add more juice or zest. From Bon Appetit December 2005. These will disappear from your Holiday cookie tray!
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- In a medium bowl combine the flour and cornstarch and blend well. Set aside.
- In a larger mixing bowl, using electric mixer, beat the butter and 1/2 cup confectioner's sugar until light and fluffy.
- Mix in the fresh lime juice, lime zest, and lime oil if using.
- Beat in the flour mixture until smooth.
- Refrigerate cookie dough until just firm, approximately 45 minutes.
- Line two aluminum baking sheets with parchment paper.
- Butter a measuring spoon and measure out a scant 1 tablespoon of the dough. Form into balls and place on the prepared baking sheets. Space the cookies 1" apart.
- Bake cookies for about 23 minutes or until browned on bottom and golden brown on top. Transfer the baking sheets to counter, and immediately sift with the remaining confectioner's sugar.
- Cool the cookies completely on baking sheet.
- Yield is estimated.
I'm so glad to see this recipe here! I had the issue of Bon Appetit, but lost it. These are delicious. I have also substituted peppermint extract and crushed peppermint for some of the lime to make Peppermint Snowballs. The texture is perfect!
These are such pretty little cookies, and the tart flavor gives the palate a delightful surprise! They could easily become a regular part of our holiday spread, and a nice ornament in a gift box.