Prep 30 mins
Cook 35 mins
Spongy and not too dry for base of dessert cakes. Inspired by Florence.
- 6 eggs
- 60 g sugar
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 100 ml milk
- 110 g flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon spice essence
- 2 tablespoons oil or 2 tablespoons melted butter
- Separate yolks and the whites.
- Beat yolks till smooth. Add in milk, oil and then sifted dry ingredients to mix well.
- Beat whites with cream of tartar. Add the sugar and beat till stiff and firm but not dry.
- Mix the two mixtures together and bake in 8" round at 160C/170C till done.