Prep 30 mins
Cook 30 mins
These gluten free, vegan cookies are VERY almondy, and delicious beyond belief! If you're a fan of good ol' PB&J these are for you, all grown up!
- 3 tablespoons ground flax seeds
- 1⁄2 cup warmed almond milk
- 2⁄3 cup firmly packed brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons agave nectar (or honey if not vegan)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon stevia powder
- 2⁄3 cup shortening
- 2⁄3 cup almond butter
- 1⁄2 tablespoon vanilla
- 1⁄2 teaspoon almond extract
- 1⁄3 cup ground almonds
- 1 cup brown rice flour
- 1⁄2 cup rice flour
- 1⁄2 cup glutinous-rice flour
- 1 tablespoon tapoica starch
- 1⁄2 teaspoon guar gum
- 1⁄4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 3⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 cup jam
- Heat oven to 375°F.
- In a small dish, whisk together flaxseed and almond milk. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, cream together brown sugar, agave, stevia, shortening and almond butter.
- Add flax mixture and the extracts, beating well.
- Whisk together ground almonds, flours, starch, guar gum, nutmeg, baking soda and salt.
- Add to the creamed mixture and stir in well.
- Shape into small balls and place on an ungreased cookie sheet.
- Press your thumb or fingertip into the centre of each cookie and fill with jam.
- Bake (one sheet at a time) 10 minutes, then cool 10-15minutes on the sheets before carefully transferring to a cooling rack.