Prep 10 mins
Cook 20 mins
Base mix for all types of muffins
- 18 cups flour
- 5 cups sugar
- 2 1⁄4 cups dry buttermilk or 2 1⁄4 cups nonfat dry milk powder
- 6 tablespoons baking powder
- 2 tablespoons baking soda
- 2 tablespoons salt
- 3 tablespoons ground cinnamon
- 3 teaspoons ground nutmeg
- Measure all ingredients into a large bowl, blend well and the transfer to a sealable storage container.
- TO MAKE 24 REGULAR SIZED MUFFINS:.
- Preheat oven to 400°.
- Combine the following.
- 4 eggs.
- 3 teaspoons vanilla.
- 2 cups water.
- 1 cup oil.
- 5-1/2 cups muffin mix.
- The batter should be slightly lumpy.
- Fill muffin tins 3/4 full. Bake for 18 to 20 minutes, or until muffins are golden brown.
- Muffins freeze well.
- To reheat frozen muffins, microwave on high for 30 seconds per muffin.
This mix rules!!! There are tons of variations for this mix too - an email was floating around with the variations. I DOUBLE this mix recipe and we eat muffins whenever we like - which is several mornings a week. What we don't eat of the 24-36 muffins this recipe makes each use - I freeze and use for snacks on the road or take to a friend's house. Great mix to have on hand for a bigger family.
I gave this mix a try because I wanted one that used dry buttermilk. I only made 1/2 a recipe, mostly because I wanted to try it before I used so much of the ingredients, but I'm glad I did, 'cause I wouldn't have had a big enough bowl to mix a whole recipe. I bagged individual batches for future ease, and ended up with 2 full batches, and 1 half batch (which I bagged with instructions to use 1/2 the called for additional ingredients). Also, I omitted the nutmeg from the mix, as I didn't have any.