Prep 10 mins
Cook 45 mins
No, there aren't 14 carrots in it--only two, but this carrot cake with pineapple and pecans and a cream cheese frosting--worth every cent! It is from a Junior League Cookbook.
- 2 cups flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 4 eggs
- 2 cups sugar
- 1 1⁄2 cups oil
- 2 cups grated raw carrots
- 1 (8 ounce) can crushed pineapple in juice, drained
- 1⁄2 cup chopped nuts (walnuts or pecans)
Vanilla Cream Cheese Frosting
- 1⁄2 cup butter or 1⁄2 cup margarine
- 1 (8 ounce) package cream cheese, softened
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 lb confectioners' sugar (sifted)
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Sift together flour, baking powder, soda, salt and cinnamon.
- In mixing bowl, beat eggs and add sugar.
- Let stand until sugar dissolves, about 10 minutes.
- Stir in oil, carrots, drained pineapple and nuts.
- Stir in dry ingredients and beat until well blended--3 minutes or so with blender.
- Turn into 3 greased and floured 9-inch round cake pans or one 13-x9-inch pan.
- Bake at 350°F for 35 to 40 minutes or until cake springs back when lightly touched.
- Cool in pans about 10 minutes, then turn onto wire racks to cool completely before frosting.
- Frosting: Combine butter, cream cheese and vanilla in large bowl and beat until well blended.
- Add powdered sugar gradually, beating vigorously.
- If frosting is too thick, thin with a few drops of milk to spreading consistency.
when i first joined back in 2002 i was looking for a great carrot cake,and this is the one that caught my eye. i made it again today and it tastes just as wonderful as it did then.when i made it this time,instead of finely grating all of the carrots i rough grated some for a different type of texture. if you want an excellent carrot cake,look no further you found it. if i could give it more than 5 '*s .thank you so much for posting.
DESERVES 10 STARS! I have made this twice now and it is absolutely delicious and moist! I found that you can cut the recipe in half to make 1 bundt cake/1 loaf pan/12 cupcakes. To make this recipe healthier, I switched the cream cheese frosting (I love it too!) to a maple syrup glaze. I heated up 2 TBL maple syrup with 1 TBL unsalted butter in a saucepan and drizzled it over the cake. Then I mixed 1 TBL of sugar and 1/4 tsp cinnamon and topped the cake! Still VERY delicious with a lot less saturated fat!
I won't rate this because I changed the recipe slightly, but it turned out great. I had a jar of baby food carrots that I substituted for an equal amount of the oil. I'm not sure if it made any difference but the cake was EXTREMELY moist and not greasy or heavy at all!