Recipe by A la Carte
This is from Dr. Weil. It makes a nice change from a heavy creamy broccoli soup, and for 99 calories per serving, you can easily have 2 bowls! Takes just a few minutes to make too.
Top Review by Laughing in the Kitchen
This soup is a real mixed bag for me, which is why I gave it three stars. The main con is the consistency. Even with blending, I don't feel like it's a smooth soup - it's a little too grainy for my taste. The flavoring and ease of making it are the major pros. I think I would consider making it without pureeing next time and maybe add some potatoes and onions as well.
- 1 cup vegetable stock or 1 cup chicken stock
- 3 cups chopped broccoli (about 1/2 large bunch)
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 2 teaspoons grated fresh gingerroot
- 1 cup soymilk or 1 cup skim milk
- 1 teaspoon low sodium soy sauce
- 1⁄4 cup finely chopped red onion
Directions See How It's Made
- In a large saucepan, bring the vegetable broth to a boil.
- Add the chopped broccoli, garlic and ginger. Reduce the heat to low and cover. Steam for about 5 minutes or until the broccoli is tender. Remove from the heat.
- After the broccoli has cooled slightly, puree it in a food processor or blender, or use a hand immersion blender. Return it to the sauce pan.
- Add the soy milk or skim milk and soy sauce. Warm over low heat.
- Serve sprinkled with chopped red onion.
- For Vegetarian/Vegan use Vegetable broth.
- For Vegan use soy milk.