Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 15 mins
Cook 15 mins
This is from Dr. Weil. It makes a nice change from a heavy creamy broccoli soup, and for 99 calories per serving, you can easily have 2 bowls! Takes just a few minutes to make too.
- In a large saucepan, bring the vegetable broth to a boil.
- Add the chopped broccoli, garlic and ginger. Reduce the heat to low and cover. Steam for about 5 minutes or until the broccoli is tender. Remove from the heat.
- After the broccoli has cooled slightly, puree it in a food processor or blender, or use a hand immersion blender. Return it to the sauce pan.
- Add the soy milk or skim milk and soy sauce. Warm over low heat.
- Serve sprinkled with chopped red onion.
- For Vegetarian/Vegan use Vegetable broth.
- For Vegan use soy milk.
This soup is a real mixed bag for me, which is why I gave it three stars. The main con is the consistency. Even with blending, I don't feel like it's a smooth soup - it's a little too grainy for my taste. The flavoring and ease of making it are the major pros. I think I would consider making it without pureeing next time and maybe add some potatoes and onions as well.
I followed the advice of other reviewers and added an onion and some black pepper. It was very mild in flavor - we were worried that the broccoli might taste to strong but it was perfect. Definitely will make again.
A great easy soup...I really did not measure the broccoli but know I had more than 3 cups so I added more garlic and ginger also along with mixed dried peppers and extra soy sauce...I kept the soy milk to 1 cup and used thick homemade spicy veggie stock (any good soup starts off from good stock :wink: )...to make the soup a bit more "creamy" I added some corn starch in at the last heating stage...also left a "bit of the broc" chunky to give each bowl a bite of "meatiness :) "...YUMMY :)