Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr
A fast quick soup to warm your bones. I have also added chucks of browned stew meat for a little more zing
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 3 cups sliced mushrooms
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1⁄2 cup chopped celery
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic (or more, your choice)
- 1⁄2 cup uncooked barley
- 3 cups vegetable broth
- 1 (15 1/2 ounce) can white beans, drained
- Heat oil in medium saucepan over medium heat, and stir in mushrooms, onion, celery, and garlic.
- Saute til tender.
- Mix barley and broth into saucepan.
- Bring to a boil, cover, and reduce heat.
- Simmer 45- 50 minutes, til barley is tender.
- Stir white beans into barley mixture.
- Continue cooking about 5 minutes, til beans are heated.
The house smelled wonderful this evening as this simmered on the stove. I did add some crumbled and browned ground beef that needed to be used and a handful of baby spinach leaves with the beans. I also used some fresh ground pepper. It was a tasty and filling soup. I served it with warmed sourdough bread and a spinach salad. Good comfort food.
Oh, Myrna, what a lovely tasting soup! I didn't change anything, but I used dried vegetable bouillion and water. This is so good tasting, and healthy with all the fiber in it. I did add salt and pepper which wasn't mentioned. This will be a keeper in my recipe book. Thanks, Carole in Orlando