Recipe by Myrna 2
A fast quick soup to warm your bones. I have also added chucks of browned stew meat for a little more zing
Top Review by Ms B.
The house smelled wonderful this evening as this simmered on the stove. I did add some crumbled and browned ground beef that needed to be used and a handful of baby spinach leaves with the beans. I also used some fresh ground pepper. It was a tasty and filling soup. I served it with warmed sourdough bread and a spinach salad. Good comfort food.
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 3 cups sliced mushrooms
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1⁄2 cup chopped celery
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic (or more, your choice)
- 1⁄2 cup uncooked barley
- 3 cups vegetable broth
- 1 (15 1/2 ounce) can white beans, drained
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat oil in medium saucepan over medium heat, and stir in mushrooms, onion, celery, and garlic.
- Saute til tender.
- Mix barley and broth into saucepan.
- Bring to a boil, cover, and reduce heat.
- Simmer 45- 50 minutes, til barley is tender.
- Stir white beans into barley mixture.
- Continue cooking about 5 minutes, til beans are heated.