Prep 1 hr
Cook 15 mins
Just like you get at the fair or the mall. We used to make these every Christmas. Sooo good right out of the oven. Definitely use the kosher salt to top. I never remember how many this actually makes. If you shape into big pretzels, it's probably about 10. Prep time includes 40 min rise time.
- 3 1⁄2 cups all-purpose flour, unsifted
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon table salt
- 1 (1/4 ounce) package active dry yeast
- 1 cup water
- 1 tablespoon margarine
- 1 egg yolk, beaten
- 1 tablespoon water
- 1 tablespoon kosher salt
- Mix 1 cup flour, sugar, salt and undissolved yeast.
- Heat 1 cup water and margarine to 120-130 degrees.
- Gradually add to dry ingredients and beat 2 minutes at medium speed of mixer.
- Add 1/2 cup flour, beat at high speed 2 minutes.
- Stir in enough additional flour to make a soft dough.
- On floured board, knead 5 minutes.
- Set in greased bowl, turn to grease top, cover and let rise in a warm place for 40 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 375.
- Divide dough into equal pieces.
- Roll into ropes, shape into pretzels.
- Place on greased baking sheets, cover and let rest 5 minutes.
- Mix egg yolk and 1 tablespoon of water, brush on pretzels.
- Sprinkle with kosher salt.
- Bake 15 minutes.
There is no photo because my pretzel shape-making skills are horrible! Haha, outside of that fact though, these are very good! I taste tested 1 and gave the rest away to family and everybody loved them.