Recipe by kstrating
from jaimecooksitup.net Directions look long, but just take them one step at a time :)
- 1 tablespoon shortening
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 cup boiling water
- 1 cup cold water
- 1⁄3 cup lukewarm water
- 1 tablespoon yeast (I use active dry)
- 5 -6 cups all-purpose white flour
- 1 egg
Directions See How It's Made
- Place the 1 C hot water in the microwave for 3 minutes to get it boiling.
- Dissolve the yeast into the warm water. Stir it around until it is all mixed.
- Combine the salt, shortening, and sugar in the bottom of your mixer with a fork. The dough hook doesn’t work very well.
- Pour the boiling water over the shortening mixture.
- Pour the cold water over the mixture.
- Pour the warm water and yeast into the mixer.
- Begin to add the flour, one cup at a time, until the dough pulls away from the side of your mixer.
- Let the dough mix on high for 8 minutes.
- Let the dough rise in the mixer for about 20 minutes.
- Separate the dough into three parts and place on a large jelly roll pan sprayed with cooking spray. Let the dough sit for about 5 minutes. Letting it sit will make it MUCH easier to shape.
- Form or roll the dough out to about 1/2 inch thick.
- Starting at one edge, roll it into a tube.
- Bring the ends up & over, overlapping slightly, flip to seam side down and set to the side while you repeat with the other 2 pieces.
- Oil a sharp knife & make 3 diagonal slashes on each loaf (approximately 1/2 inch thick).
- Prepare an egg wash (1 beaten egg, 2 T water, mixed well) and gently brush all over the loaves.
- Place the loaves in a 170 degree oven for 20 minutes, to rise.
- Leaving the loaves in the oven, turn oven up to 400 degrees F and bake for 15 minutes (375 degrees for 10 minutes, for a convection oven).
- Turn the oven down to 350 degrees F & bake 10 minutes longer (325 for 7 minutes, for convection).