Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 18 mins
Cook 20 mins
A healthy turkey chili recipe. Very easy to make (as long as you have a can opener) and it is easy to keep the ingredients on hand. I use as many 'no-salt-added items as I can find) Whenever ground dark-meat turkey goes on sale I buy a bunch of one pound packages to freeze away. Serve this with crackers or tortilla chips.
- 1 lb ground turkey (dark meat isn't as dry)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon oil
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 large bell pepper, chopped (I usually use 2 cups of the frozen pre-cut chopped peppers, green, yellow and red)
- 2 (15 ounce) cans no-salt-added corn, drained
- 1 (15 ounce) can no-salt-added kidney beans
- 1 (15 ounce) can no-salt-added black beans
- 1 (15 ounce) can cannellini beans or 1 (15 ounce) can great northern beans or 1 (15 ounce) canother white beans
- 3 (15 ounce) cans no-salt-added diced tomatoes
- 1 (15 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1 cup reduced-fat cheddar cheese, shredded
- Brown the ground turkey. Sprinkle the garlic powder on the turkey meat.
- Set aside.
- Open all the cans.
- Drain and rinse all the beans (this reduces their gas-inducing abilities).
- In your largest pot, saute the chopped onions and peppers with the oil until the onions are clear.
- Dump all the cans of everything into the big pot.
- Cook over medium heat until hot -- stirring occasionally.
- Let simmer for at least 10 minutes.
- Add turkey meat and stir.
- Add chili powder and cinnamin (you can adjust to taste -- I put the spice jars on the table so people can add more).
- Serve hot with cheese and crackers and/or tortilla chips.