Lowfat Linda's Note:
A healthy turkey chili recipe. Very easy to make (as long as you have a can opener) and it is easy to keep the ingredients on hand. I use as many 'no-salt-added items as I can find) Whenever ground dark-meat turkey goes on sale I buy a bunch of one pound packages to freeze away. Serve this with crackers or tortilla chips.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 lb ground turkey (dark meat isn't as dry)
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon oil
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 large bell pepper, chopped (I usually use 2 cups of the frozen pre-cut chopped peppers, green, yellow and red)
- 2 (15 ounce) cans no-salt-added corn, drained
- 1 (15 ounce) can no-salt-added kidney beans
- 1 (15 ounce) can no-salt-added black beans
- 1 (15 ounce) can cannellini beans or 1 (15 ounce) can great northern beans or 1 (15 ounce) can other white beans
- 3 (15 ounce) cans no-salt-added diced tomatoes
- 1 (15 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1 cup reduced-fat cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1Brown the ground turkey. Sprinkle the garlic powder on the turkey meat.
- 2Set aside.
- 3Open all the cans.
- 4Drain and rinse all the beans (this reduces their gas-inducing abilities).
- 5In your largest pot, saute the chopped onions and peppers with the oil until the onions are clear.
- 6Dump all the cans of everything into the big pot.
- 7Cook over medium heat until hot -- stirring occasionally.
- 8Let simmer for at least 10 minutes.
- 9Add turkey meat and stir.
- 10Add chili powder and cinnamin (you can adjust to taste -- I put the spice jars on the table so people can add more).
- 11Serve hot with cheese and crackers and/or tortilla chips.
Browse Our Top One-Dish Meal Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All One-Dish Meal Recipes
Nutritional Facts for 9 Can Turkey Chili
Serving Size: 1 (504 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 365.1
- Calories from Fat 60
- Total Fat 6.7 g
- Saturated Fat 1.6 g
- Cholesterol 44.8 mg
- Sodium 374.4 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 57.0 g
- Dietary Fiber 13.3 g
- Sugars 11.4 g
- Protein 24.5 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
no-salt-added kidney beans
reduced-fat cheddar cheese