Prep 15 mins
Cook 0 mins
This is a mix of grains that I make in bulk quantities to use as a replacement for rice or as a flavorful addition to jasmine or basmati rice. With all due respect, this is based on a recipe from the Medicine restaurant in San Francisco. Also great for sushi!
- 1 cup bhutanese red rice
- 1 cup forbidden black rice
- 1 cup germinated brown rice
- 1 cup quinoa
- 1 cup couscous (toasted)
- 1 cup buckwheat groats
- 1 cup pearl barley
- 1 cup spelt
- 1 cup ratio is just a suggestion. make as much or as little as you like.
- Mix 2 oz of grain mix with 2 cups of Jasmine or Basmati rice. Cook rice and grains in a rice cooker using equal amounts of rice/grains and water.
- To make sushi, add 1/3 cup rice vinegar, 2 Tbsp sugar and 1 tsp salt -- whisk together completetly and add to cooled rice mix.
- See my recipe for Smoky Risotto for a great side dish including this blend!
I wondered how I would like all my favorite grains used all at once and I am wowed at the result! I really like this simple and delicious boost to basmati rice. I wasn't sure about the spelt so I used spelt flour; I'll have to check and see if it comes in a grain form -- silly me! Thanks, Michelle Minicucci, for a new pantry staple. Made for Bargain Basement Tag Game.