Prep 25 mins
Cook 1 hr
This recipe has been my standard for pasta and lasagna. I've never found another like it and it seems that many people haven't since I lost it and tried on here, Hunt's website, and many, many other places to find it again. I'm posting it here so it won't get lost again. If you are into canning, make a bunch. Give this sauce time to thicken. It's even better the next day!
- 1 1⁄2 lbs ground beef
- 1 cup onion (chopped)
- 2 -4 garlic cloves (minced)
- 2 (6 ounce) cans tomato paste
- 1 (28 ounce) can diced tomatoes with juice
- 3 cups water
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon sweet basil
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 -2 teaspoon oregano
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 tablespoons oil (if using extra lean meat)
- Brown hamburger.
- Add garlic and onion, cook till tender.
- Drain fat.
- Add remaining ingredients.
- Reduce heat to low and simmer til sauce is thickened to your preference (1 1/2 to 2 hours).
- Serve over your favorite pasta or use to prepare lasagna.