Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr
I started making cakes with soda because I wanted to make it lower in fat. I got that idea from my boyfriend's mother. I found that using this method was just as good. You can also substitute using diet sodas also. For this recipe, I prefer using 7 Up. I like using egg whites because without it, the cake crumbles and is very mess to serve and eat.
- 1 (18 ounce) box yellow cake mix
- 1 (12 ounce) can 7-Up soda
- 2 large ripe bananas
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 3 egg whites
- 1⁄2 cup semisweet mini chocolate chips
- fat-free whipped topping
- 1 cup sweetened flaked coconut
- In a large mixing bowl, mix cake mix, soda, and egg whites.
- In a separate bowl, mash bananas and baking soda.
- Add to cake batter and mix.
- Gently fold in the chocolate chips.
- Spray a 13X9 pan with oil and pour batter.
- DO NOT PREHEAT OVEN!
- Place cake into oven and set to 350°F and bake for 1 hour.
- Toast Coconut Flakes in a nonstick pan over medium heat. Stir constantly to prevent burning! YOU NEED TO WATCH CAREFULLY!
- After cake has completely cooled, as whipped topping and sprinkle toasted coconut over the entire cake.