Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 45 mins
Cook 30 mins
I couldn't believe there wasn't a Granny's 7-Up Cake recipe on here! Is it just a Southern thing? If so, accept our gracious hospitality and treat yourself to this wonderful dessert. Can use Pineapple Cake mix with Vanilla Pudding mix.
- 1 (18 ounce) package yellow cake mix
- 1 (5 ounce) package instant pineapple pudding
- 3⁄4 cup cooking oil
- 4 eggs
- 1 (10 ounce) bottle 7-up
- 1 1⁄2 cups sugar
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1⁄2 cup margarine (1 stick)
- 2 egg yolks, slightly beaten
- 1 (6 ounce) can crushed pineapple, do not drain
- 1 cup coconut (more if needed)
- 1 cup chopped pecans (more if needed)
- Mix together cake mix and instant pudding. Add oil. Add eggs, beating well after each addition. Add Seven-Up. Mix well. Bake in 9x13-inch greased and floured pan at 350* for approximately 30 minutes, or until cake pulls away from edge of pan.
- Mix together sugar and flour. Add the rest of the frosting ingredients except the coconut and chopped pecans. Cook on top of stove, or in microwave oven, until thick; then add the coconut and chopped pecans.
- Spread frosting on cake while both are still warm.
This is my son's favourite! We have made it a few times and it always turns out wonderful... We're making it again tomorrow ;)
My husband thought this wasn't too bad and I can't say that I liked it. We used the pineapple cake and the vanilla pudding because we couldn't find pineapple pudding. The problem at first was that the cake didn't really cook internally like a cake does. There just seemed to be too much liquid going on. We ended up putting foil over the top to stop the cake from browning too much and to give the inside a chance to set up. After that it seemed to turn out fine but the taste didn't seem to be anything special. It was too pinapple-y for me and too sweet.