Prep 10 mins
Cook 40 mins
Seven vegetable, vegan, gluten-free, dairy-free, low-fat soup that is surprisingly tasty despite all of those adjectives working against it. I created the recipe myself for my boyfriend who loves soups. For a kid-friendly version--puree this soup after you add all of the yucky, good-for-you vegetables and then add the kid-approved veggies, like potatoes, into the soup afterwards and cook until these veggies are done.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil or 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 4 celery ribs, washed and ends trimmed
- 2 small onions, peeled
- 3 carrots, ends trimmed
- 8 cups water
- 4 garlic cloves, peeled
- 3 tablespoons curry powder
- 2 cups Brussels sprouts
- 1⁄2 head cauliflower
- 4 medium potatoes
- salt & pepper
- Peel or wash carrots, whichever you prefer.
- Heat oil in large, deep stockpot over medium heat.
- Chop celery, onions and carrots into 1/2'' (1cm) pieces.
- Add the celery, onions and carrots to the stockpot.
- Saute the vegetables over medium heat for 10 minutes, stirring every minute to keep vegetables from sticking. *** If the veggies begin to burn, turn the heat down to medium low. The vegetables should be slowly roasting.
- Add garlic, curry powder and 6 cups (1440 ml) of water to the stockpot and cover.
- Cook over medium-low heat for 15 minutes.
- While soup is cooking, clean brussels sprouts and quarter them.
- Clean cauliflower and cut into small florets.
- Clean or peel the potatoes and dice into 3/4" (1.5cm) cubes.
- Remove stockpot from stove.
- Puree the soup using an immersion blender or standard blender. *** CAUTION Start immersion blender on lowest setting and protect yourself from being slashed with hot soup. Some standard blenders will break or shatter if filled with hot liquids!
- Return soup to stockpot if removed.
- Add the remaining vegetables and the remaining water to the stockpot and cover.
- Return the stockpot to the stove and cook on medium-low for 15 minutes.
- Check whether soup is done by tasting a potato--if it has lost its crunchiness, then the soup is done.
- Add salt and pepper to taste.
I LOVE this soup! It is very healthy and hearty.