Recipe by Mirj
Polenta is one of my favorite comfort foods. This version comes from one of my favorite newspapers, the New York Daily News.
Top Review by Miraklegirl
This was my first polenta ever and I loved it! I used evaporated 2% instead of the half and half and a little extra parmesan. And.. this might sound weird.. I ate it with hot sauce! Yum.. I will definately be experimenting with polenta again. Thanks Mirjam.
- 2 cups half-and-half
- 2 cups water
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons salt
- 1 1⁄2 cups coarse cornmeal
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1⁄2 cup grated parmesan cheese
- fresh ground black pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- In a medium saucepan bring the half-and-half and the water to a boil.
- Add the salt and then gradually add the polenta while stirring.
- Reduce the heat to maintain a simmer, stirring constantly.
- The polenta should be smooth and large bubbles will pop on the surface.
- Cook until very thick but not stiff, about 5 to 7 minutes.
- Remove from heat and add butter, cheese and pepper.
- Serve immediately.