Recipe by Kindall W
Great, easy frosting for a Devil's Food Cake
Top Review by artzylady2002
While this was an easy recipe to make, what I didn't like about it is that it simply doesn't hold up for very long, possibly because of the egg whites. It evaporates, even as yearly as 10 hours after frosting. Since I like to do make cakes ahead of time, the frosting between layers was completely gone when I cut it! I would not use it again.
- 4 egg whites
- 1 1⁄2 cups sugar
- 1⁄4 cup water
- 1 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1⁄8 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
Directions See How It's Made
- Combine egg whites, water, sugar, cream of tartar and salt in top of double boiler.
- Set over simmering water and beat with an electric mixer for about 5 minutes
- until soft peaks are formed.
- Remove from heat and stir in vanilla.
- Keep beating until frosting is stiff enough to spread. Use immediately.
- Plenty enough to fill and frost he 2-layer Devil's Food Cake.