Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 20 mins
Cook 40 mins
This delicious casserole looks and cuts like a pie, revealing layers of beans and cheese and tomatoes. Make it up ahead of time if you want and just put it in the oven at dinner time. I like this made with pepper jack cheese too.
- 2 (15 ounce) cans pinto beans, drained and rinsed
- 3⁄4 cup chunky salsa
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tablespoons fresh cilantro, chopped
- 1 (15 ounce) can black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1⁄4 cup chunky salsa
- 1⁄2 cup chopped tomato
- 7 8-inch flour tortillas
- 2 cups cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1 cup salsa
- 1⁄2 cup sour cream
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- In a large bowl, mash pinto beans, then stir in 3/4 cup salsa and garlic.
- In a separate bowl, mix together 1/4 cup salsa, cilantro, black beans and tomatoes.
- Place 1 tortilla in a pie plate or tart dish.
- Spread 3/4 cup pinto bean mixture over tortilla to within 1/2 inch of edge.
- Top with 1/4 cup cheese, and cover with another tortilla.
- Spread with 2/3 cup black bean mixture, and top with 1/4 cup cheese.
- Repeat layering twice more.
- Cover with last tortilla, and spread with remaining pinto bean mixture and cheese.
- Cover with foil, and bake in preheated oven for about 40 minutes.
- Cut into wedges, and serve with salsa and sour cream.
This is a really good dish. Also has good potential for a make-ahead one. I did find that it takes longer than 40 minutes to bake, more like 60. Using flavoured toritillas (like spinich, tomatoe, whole wheat) makes a really beautiful dish. I also a tried a variation where I substituted chicken for the black beans. I just shredded cold roasted chicken with two forks, seasoned it with taco-type seasonings, and mixed it with the tomatoes etc. for those layers. This seemed to be more popular, than the vegetarian version, but I like it both ways.
This was delicious! I used a round casserole dish to accomodate all 7 layers, red kidney beans (pinto aren't available here), home made salsa & 2 oz of green chilies which were left from another recipe. For cheese, I combined cheddar & some colby with diced jalapeno. Thanx Geema!
Absolutely delicious, it went down a storm! Would probably also be good with meat. It felt like sacrilege mashing up the pinto beans, perhaps they would be better unmashed?