This has been a favorite for years in my family.A must at any gathering or party I am at,or else I'm in trouble.Feel free to add whatever veggie you have on hand.Tastes good no matter what.
- 1 head lettuce (cleaned and tore into bite size pieces)
- 1 small onion (sliced into thin rings)
- 1⁄2 bag frozen peas (thawed)
- 1 green pepper (cleaned and sliced thin into strips)
- 1⁄2 lb bacon (fried,drained and crumbled)
- 2 cups Miracle Whip
- 1 (8 ounce) bagshredded cheddar cheese
- seasoning salt
- Mrs. Dash seasoning mix
- Use 9 x 13 pan place in layers lettuce,onion,gr.
- Spread miracle whip on top to seal.
- You can use more or less to suit your taste (my family likes it thick).
- Sprinkle cheese on top of miracle whip.
- Then sprinkle the seasoned salt and Mrs. Dash according to taste.
- Chill for several hours or overnight.
This was one of my Mom's favorites! Nice to see it again. I have made it a little differently, layering lettuce, green pepper, onion, celery, and then peas. The peas should be last because they help to "seal" off the lettuce from the dressing. I then "frosted it with Hellman's mayonnaise mixed with about 1 TBS. sugar. Then top with grated cheddar cheese and the bacon on top. Leftovers will keep in the frig for a day or two.
I had this salad back in the '70's and loved it. I definitely like a "make-ahead" dish. Some may find the Miracle Whip a little too sweet, but I grew up on it so it was fine for me. I used purple onions and since we don't like green pepper I substituted a layer of shredded carrot. I've also had celery and mushrooms in this dish.
A wonderful, classic recipe. My daughter wanted this salad for Christmas dinner, so I let her make it. It turned out great. The only change we made, leaving out the green pepper. My brother-in-law is allergic to it.