Recipe by MISSIB
This is a hand me down recipe, from where I don't know, but it is among many in my family recipe box. I like this as do my sons, but DH is not used to casseroles so he won't try it. Oh well all the more for us.
Top Review by foodtvfan
Easy to make old fashioned casserole. I have a recipe very similar to this one from 1957 using cracker crumb topping. The only change I made was to add about 1/2 cup frozen peas with the veggies, and I added one teaspoon of sugar with the tomatoes. A great dish to put in the oven and go outside to get some gardening done!
- 10 medium sliced potatoes
- 4 carrots, sliced
- 4 stalks celery, chopped
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup sliced mushrooms
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) candiced stewed tomatoes
- 1⁄2 cup cracker crumbs or 1⁄2 cup panko breadcrumbs
- 1⁄2 cup water
- 8 ounces raw ground beef
- fresh ground pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven 350°F.
- Layer potatoes, carrots, onions, mushrooms, celery, tomatoes (drain and save juice) and ground beef in a baking dish.
- Pour juice and water over mixture.
- Salt & pepper to taste.
- Sprinkle crackers or Panko bread crumbs over top.
- Bake covered in preheated oven at 350 degrees for 2 hours.
- Uncover the last half hour to brown.