Prep 20 mins
Cook 3 hrs
great, hearty, and healthy bread. no sugar or fat. adapted from better homes and gardens dieters cookbook.
- 2 3⁄4 cups stone ground whole wheat flour
- 3⁄4 cup seven-grain cereal
- 1⁄4 cup soy flour
- 1 (1/4 ounce) package active dry yeast
- 2⁄3 cup warm water
- 1⁄3 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1⁄4 cup egg substitute
- 1 teaspoon soymilk
- combine yeast in warm water.
- in large mixing bowl combine all remaining ingredients except for the soy milk.
- add yeast and water and mix well.
- knead for 6-8 minutes.
- cover and let rise in a warm place for about 1 1/2 hours or until doubled.
- spray loaf pan with cooking spray and shape dough into a loaf and put in pan.
- cover and let rise again for about 45 minute preheat oven to 350.
- just prior to baking brush the top of dough with soy milk and sprinkle some 7 grain cereal on top.
- bake for 40 minutes.
I had a little problem with this recipe. The dough didn't rise very well. I wonder if the 7-grain cereal is supposed to be cooked first? It produced a fairly heavy loaf. But maybe it's supposed to be a heavier loaf. I still loved the healthy ingredients, and will try it again. Maybe my yeast wasn't working properly.
This is an excellent bread. I don't have soy flour, so I used oat bran instead. I also added 1 1/2 teaspoons of salt - can't imagine bread with no salt in it. Thanks for posting, I plan to make this recipe again.