Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 0 mins
Cook 15 mins
This is my version of the famous (and effective) 7-Day Soup Diet. The secret of this soup is low(er) carb veggies—like kale, watercress, turnips, pumpkin/squash, carrots, chayote, chards, chicory, okra, rutabaga (very low carb), brussels sprouts, chiles—use your imagination! Day 2: the potato seemed like a blessing from God. Day 4: mashed bananas with milk + honey/splenda. Day 5: the combination of steaks and tomatoes was divine. To salads or fresh veggies I added a little bit of extra-virgin olive oil and balsamic vinegar. (Servings reflect only the days you eat the soup.)
- 5 medium carrots, cut into 1-inch slices
- 3 medium celery ribs, sliced
- 3 large onions, chopped or 3 medium leeks, cut into 1-inch slices
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 (28 ounce) canwhole tomatoes with juice (cut as small as you want or blended)
- 1⁄2 medium cauliflower, cut into bite-size pieces
- 12 ounces green beans, cut into thrids
- 3 medium zucchini, cut into 1-inch slices
- 2 (5 ounce) packages Baby Spinach
- 1⁄2 cup chopped fresh parsley
- 2 chicken bouillon cubes
- 12 cups water
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground pepper
- Coat pan with nonstick spray. Over medium high heat add carrots, celery, onions, and garlic. Cook stirring occasionally, 5 minutes. Add remaining ingredients. Heat to boiling. Reduce to low, cover and simmer, stirring occasionally, 15 minutes.
- Day 1. Soup + fruit: all you want—EXCEPT banana. (Juice)
- Day 2. Soup + fresh vegetables (salads, etc): all you want. One large baked potato + butter for dinner. NO fruit.
- Day 3. Soup + fruit + veggies: all you want. NO potatoes.
- Day 4. Soup + bananas (at least 3) + skim milk: all you want.
- Day 5. Soup + beef (up to 20 oz) + 6 tomatoes.
- Day 6. Soup + beef (2, 3 steaks) + green leafy veggies: all you want. NO potatoes. (Veal, beef, chicken).
- Day 7. Soup + brown rice + unsweetened fruit juice + veggies: all you want.
- - I found this French version in the Net: 1 cabbage (green, purple, frisé, Chinese), 4 garlic cloves, 6 large onions, 2 boxes of tomatoes (peeled), 2 bell peppers, 5 carrots, one celery, 1 bunch of parsley, 3 L water, spices. Blanche cabbage 25 minutes. Cut everything in small pieces. Bring to a boil. Close and cook on low until soft.
- - The recipes are just guidelines. I don’t like leeks and they’re a bit too expensive too, so don't use them. I added lots of garlic and onion (sautéed in a bit of olive oil), and herbs. Sprouts are a great addition, sprinkled just before eating. Once I added 1 tbsp of my favorite bottled salsa (Herdez) and a handful of chopped cilantro to my dish. When I was desperately hungry I ate some nuts (they do fill you up and are “good” fat) and once a thin slice of Mexican fresh cheese (low on fat). After the diet I kept carbs low, ate only sprouted bread, tortillas and chapatis (Ezekiel, Genesis, etc), or whole grain/brown rice bread. I use Splenda and try to avoid cane/beet sugar. When you think you might kill for a taste of chocolate, try this “Low Carb 3 Minute Chocolate Cake”: 1/4 cup soy flour; 1 tbsp cocoa powder (Nestlé Toll House); 1/4 tsp baking powder; 5 (1 g) packets Splenda; 2 tsp melted butter; 1 tbsp water; 1 egg. Blend flour, cocoa, baking powder, splenda in a 2-cup baking dish. Add water, butter and egg; blend thoroughly with fork. Cover with plastic wrap and cut a small vent in the top. Microwave on HIGH 1 min, until knife comes out clean. Cool or eat warm with whipped cream. (This does NOT taste like soy!) Try also the “South Beach Muffin”: 1 large egg; 1 1/2 tsp Splenda; 1 tsp cinnamon (I mix cinnamon + nutmeg); 2 tsp plain fat-free yogurt; 1/2 tsp baking powder; 3 tbsp ground flax seeds. Spray microwave safe ramekin/bowl with cooking spray (or use muffin liner). Mix egg and splenda with fork until well combined; add yogurt, blend well. Mix in flaxseed, cinnamon and baking powder until well combined. Pour in ramekin; microwave on HIGH 1:30 minute (Note: dish should be no more than 1/2 full; these rise a lot.) Best served hot. Then, there is the “South Beach Diet Flax Cracker”: 4 tbsp flax seed meal; 2 tbsp chicken broth; 2 tbsp water; spices; salt. Mix flax and liquid. Add spices + salt. Spread thin on parchment paper. Microwave 2-3 minutes. Serve with Hummus bi Tahine, low fat/carb dip or cheese. If you like chapatti-like breads, you will love this.
I have 40 lbs or more to loose before my daughter's wedding in February 2013. I was on the cabbage diet two weeks ago and although I lost about 11 lbs I hated that cabbage soup; but I stuck to it and was pleased with the results. I think I will like this soup much better! This is a great quick loss plan and I will make this soup tonight and begin again!