This salad will stay crisp in your fridge for up to 7 days. It is low cal and very tasty. It gets better as the days go by.
- 6 cups cabbage, shredded
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 1 medium carrot, grated
- 1⁄4 cup vinegar
- 2 teaspoons lite olive oil
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon celery seed
- 1⁄2 teaspoon horseradish cream
- 10 teaspoons artificial sweetener, approximate to taste (Splenda, Sugar twin)
- Combine the cabbage, onion and carrot.
- Combine remaining ingredients in a sauce pan (do not add all of the sweetener taste as you go) Heat to boiling.
- Pour the hot dressing over the veggies.
- Cover and refrigerate for at least an hour.
I really enjoyed this coleslaw, and it is perfect for low-carb diets. I only used 5 or 6 packets of Splenda, and found it to be just the right amount of sweetness (for my taste). Next time, I might add a little less of the celery seed, as I thought it was a wee bit overpowering. But this is a very good, delightfully different coleslaw recipe. Thank you! ~Manda UPDATE: I'm not sure if I'm allowed to do this or not, but I'm gonna do it anyway;) I rated this recipe with 4 stars on the first day I made it. However, 2 days after making it I ate some and it definitely deserves a 5 star, and mum agrees!! Just proves that some things do get better with time!! I will definitely be making this again, and also sharing it with my aunt who is on a low-carb diet. I'm sure she will love it. Thank you, Bergy!! ~Manda
The coleslaw was good - but I will use sugar next time instead of artificial sweetner. I did not care for the aftertaste of the sweetner, and I used half of the sweetner called for.
This was a nice change from the usual mayo type coleslaw. There is no way it will last 7 days though.We are all taking it to work for lunch tomorrow. I followed the suggestion of a previous reviewer and just added 6 pkg of splenda and it turned out great.Thanks for posting this great recipe Bergy.