3 hrs 15 mins
From "America's Test Kitchen" this recipe is easy and fairly inexpensive. Delicious too!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 4 lbs 7 bone pot roast
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- salt and pepper
- 1Adjust oven rack to middle position and preheat to 300 degrees.
- 2Thoroughly pat roast dry with paper towels and sprinkle generously with salt and pepper.
- 3Heat oil in large heavy-bottomed Dutch oven over medium-high heat until shimmering but not smoking.
- 4Brown roast thoroughly on all sides, reducing heat if oil begins to smoke, 8 to 10 minutes.
- 5Add enough water to come halfway up sides of roast (no more and no less).
- 6Place a large piece of heavy foil over pot and cover with lid.
- 7Cook turning roast ever 30 minutes, until fully tender and meat fork or sharp knife easily slips in and out of meat, 2/12 to 3/12 hours.
- 8Let roast rest 10 minutes or so before serving.
Browse Our Top Roast Beef Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Roast Beef Recipes
Nutritional Facts for 7 Bone Pot Roast
Serving Size: 1 (4 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 1171.4
- Calories from Fat 810
- Total Fat 90.0 g
- Saturated Fat 34.6 g
- Cholesterol 308.4 mg
- Sodium 267.6 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 0.0 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.0 g
- Sugars 0.0 g
- Protein 84.0 g
The following items or measurements are not included: