Prep 15 mins
Cook 3 hrs
From "America's Test Kitchen" this recipe is easy and fairly inexpensive. Delicious too!
- 4 lbs 7 bone pot roast
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- salt and pepper
- Adjust oven rack to middle position and preheat to 300 degrees.
- Thoroughly pat roast dry with paper towels and sprinkle generously with salt and pepper.
- Heat oil in large heavy-bottomed Dutch oven over medium-high heat until shimmering but not smoking.
- Brown roast thoroughly on all sides, reducing heat if oil begins to smoke, 8 to 10 minutes.
- Add enough water to come halfway up sides of roast (no more and no less).
- Place a large piece of heavy foil over pot and cover with lid.
- Cook turning roast ever 30 minutes, until fully tender and meat fork or sharp knife easily slips in and out of meat, 2/12 to 3/12 hours.
- Let roast rest 10 minutes or so before serving.