Recipe by Possumgirl (Randy)
A classic, Normandy recipe that takes a long time to cook and practically no time to prepare.
- 2 liters whole milk
- 180 g round rice (dessert rice)
- 200 g sugar
- 50 g butter
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 pinch salt
Directions See How It's Made
- Mix the rice, sugar and salt in a large, ovenproof earthenware or glass casserole that will be big enough to hold the 2 liters of milk.
- Heat the milk and butter, but don't let it boil.
- Carefully pour the milk mixture over the rice and sprinkle with the cinnamon.
- Put it, uncovered, into an oven pre-heated to 120 Celsius. Depending on your oven, the casserole you used, etc,, the cooking can take from 7 to 8 hours.
- Toward the end of the cooking time, periodically test with a knife. When the milk is no longer liquid, but creamy and thickened, it's done.
- This makes A LOT of rice pudding! It can be eaten warm, but I preferred it cold.