Prep 50 mins
Cook 10 mins
This is the first recipe I got that I even attempted to make homemade rolls. I got the recipe from a friend long ago. They are easy to make and very tasty without having to do alot of time-consuming and tiring kneading.
- 2 (1/16 ounce) packages active dry yeast
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 cup powdered milk
- 1 1⁄2 cups hot water
- 2 1⁄2 tablespoons butter
- In a large bowl, mix 1 cup of flour, yeast, sugar, salt and powdered milk.
- Now add the 1-1/2 cups"hot" water and the butter; stir until the butter is melted.
- Add remaining 3 cups of flour, 1 cup at a time, and mix thoroughly (dough will be sticky).
- Let stand, covered with a dish towel, for 20-30 mins in a warm place.
- Turn dough out onto a floured surface.
- Knead a few times, adding a little flour as needed until dough is no longer sticky.
- Grease a 12 cup muffin pan.
- Pinch pieces of dough and place a piece in each prepared muffin cup.
- When pan is full, cover again and let sit 20-30 mins.
- While rolls are sitting preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Place rolls in oven and bake 10 mins or until rolls are golden brown on top.
- When roll are removed from oven brush with melted butter and serve hot.
Oh - thank you, thank you!!! I used to make this all the time, but lost the recipe in a series of transitions and have been searching for it.... I'm soooo happy to find it again (so is my hubby!) It's wonderful bread - I've used other recipes, after losing it, and none compare to me - I made it tonight and it was as wonderful as ever. It's so soft and the flavor is just the perfect balance - and I love the denser texture of it. And to boot, it's the easiest thing to make. I love it! Thank you again!
Quick and easy but a bit yeasty for my liking and there are other rolls recipes I prefer. However they do have a good texture. Worth trying.