Recipe by GingerSnap!
I learned to make these in 4-H and havn't found a recipe since that is so good and so easy. You can make these into any shape you want: crescents, knots, coils, twists or a simple roll.
Top Review by MomLuvs6
This is a great recipe to have on hand, especially when you decide to make rolls just before starting dinner. Easy recipe to make, quick and very good. Thank You. [Made for Bargain Basement Tag]
- 3 1⁄2-4 1⁄2 cups unsifted flour
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons active dry yeast (2 pkgs.)
- 1 cup milk
- 1⁄2 cup water
- 1⁄4 cup butter
Directions See How It's Made
- Mix thoroughly in large bowl: 1½ cups flour, sugar, salt and undissolved yeast.
- Combine milk, water and margarine in a saucepan.
- Heat over low heat until liquids are very warm (120º-130ºF). Butter does not need to melt.
- Gradually add to dry ingredients and beat 2 minutes at medium speed with electric mixer, scraping bowl occasionally.
- Add ½ cup flour, beat at high speed 2 minutes.
- Stir in enough additional flour to make a soft dough.
- Turn onto light floured board; knead until smooth and elastic, about 5 minutes.
- Place in greased bowl, turning to grease top.
- Cover, place bowl in pan of water about 98ºF. Let rise 15 minutes.
- Turn dough out onto floured board.
- Roll golf-ball sized pieces with the dough.
- Place three balls of dough into each cup of greased muffin tin.
- Cover, let rise in warm place (about 90ºF) 15 minutes.
- Bake at 425º about 12 minutes or until done.
- Remove from muffin tin and let cool on wire rack.