Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Delicious, chewy oat bread.
Make and share this 60 Minute Oatmeal Nut Bread recipe from Food.com.
- 1 1⁄4-1 3⁄4 cups bread flour
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 1 cup rolled oats, not instant
- 1⁄2 cup pecan pieces
- 1⁄2 teaspoon sea salt
- 2 1⁄4 teaspoons fast rising yeast
- 1 cup milk
- 1⁄4 cup water
- 2 teaspoons orange zest or 2 teaspoons orange extract
- 3 tablespoons honey
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1⁄2 cup powdered sugar (optional)
- 1 -1 1⁄2 teaspoon milk (optional)
- In large bowl, mix 1 1/4 cups bread flour, wheat flour, oats, pecan pieces, salt, and yeast.
- In saucepan, over low heat, heat 1 cup milk, water, orange, honey and butter until hot (125°-130°F); stir into dry mixture.
- Mix in just enough reserved flour to make soft dough.
- On lightly floured surface, knead 4 minutes.
- Roll dough into 13x9-inch rectangle.
- Roll up from short side, jelly-roll style; seal seam and ends.
- Place on greased baking sheet; flatten slightly to form oval; cover.
- Place a large shallow pan, half-filled with boiling water on counter and place baking sheet over this pan and let rise for 20 minutes or just allow to rise in warm (80°-85°F) draft-free place for 20 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- Make 3 diagonal slashes on top of loaf; brush with egg.
- Bake until golden (20-25 minutes).
- Remove from baking sheet; cool on wire rack. In small bowl, mix powdered sugar and 1 teaspoon milk.
- Add additional milk, if necessary, to make desired consistency.
- Drizzle over loaf.
A little work, but very good.