Prep 20 mins
Cook 5 hrs
Not the tastiest meal but healthy and sure to fill you up.
- 2 lbs lean beef, cut in 1-inch cubes (chicken or turkey)
- 1 onion, chopped
- 3 fresh garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon thyme
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 1 teaspoon marjoram
- 1 teaspoon basil
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 teaspoon black pepper, freshly ground
- 4 cups water
- 1 cup red wine
- 1 cup celery, chopped
- 4 cups potatoes, chopped
- 2 cups carrots, chopped
- 8 ounces mushrooms, chopped
- In a dutch oven or large pot, sear beef over medium high heat, stirring to brown all sides.
- Add onion and garlic plus 1 tbsp of water and continue cooking until onion is translucent and softened.
- Add spices, stirring quickly to coat for 1 minute. Add water, wine and 2 cups potatoes. Bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat to low. Simmer uncovered 3-4 hours, stirring occasionally, until potatoes begin to break down and dissolve, thickening broth.
- Add remaining potatoes and additional veggies, as well as additional 1-2 cups water if necessary.
- Return to boil and cook over low heat for another hour, or until vegetables are tender.
- Tip: To cut 3 hours of time, after adding the wine and water, add all vegetables including 2 cups of potatoes, replace 2 cups of potatoes for 1/2-1 cup of leftover mashed potatoes and add it as well (this will thicken the stew). Just cook for another hour until veggies are tender.