Recipe by Jfoxe
Chunks of beef are simmered in beer with scallions, garlic, tomatoes, cumin and cilantro. Serve this over rice with a little aji picante and you'll have a delicious comfort dish, Latin style! Weight Watchers Points Plus Value: 6
Top Review by teresas
Delicious comfort food...I cut the recipe in half for the two of us...my only disappointment was there wasn't any liquid to pour over the rice...the little bit there was the potato absorbed it during it's cooking process...yummy...thanks for posting it...Made for Spring 2014 PAC =)
- 9.85 ml olive oil
- 236.59 ml scallion, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 small tomatoes, chopped
- 29.58 ml cilantro, minced
- 680.38 g choice round beef stew, cut into small chunks
- 78.07 ml light beer
- 78.07 ml water
- 2.46 ml cumin
- 1.23 ml adobo seasoning (or salt)
- 2.46 ml achiote (or sazon)
- 1 bay leaf
- 283.49 g baby red potatoes, halved or quartered
Directions See How It's Made
- In a large dutch oven or heavy pot, heat oil over medium heat. Add scallions and garlic and sauté about 2 - 3 minutes; add tomatoes, cilantro and a pinch of salt. Cook another 2 minutes, stirring.
- Add beef to the pot along with beer, water, cumin, adobo, achiote, bay leaf and salt if needed. Cover and simmer on low heat 1 1/2 hours. Test to make sure beef is tender, if not cook another 15 minutes.
- Add potatoes and cook until soft, about 20 minutes depending on the size.